Friday, July 6, 2012

Vacation Destination....New York!

     Happy Friday!  Today begins my Guest Design spot at The Outlawz for their Copic/Promarker Weekly Challenge which occurs every Friday!  When I was asked a few months ago to join The Outlawz, I was beyond excited, but because of work and other commitments, I knew I had to wait until July to commit... so here I am beginning my stay with an incredibly talented, giving and inspirational team whose blog does so much to bring our community together! If you have not joined The Outlawz, please visit HERE.  There are different weekly challenges each day of the week with great prizes and so much fun! Click on the challenge you want to enter, then click on join and follow the directions for entering!
     This week's Copic/Promarker Challenge is "Vacation Destination".  I thought about a place I know best that brings tourists from all over the world... and it is where I live... New York.  Actually, I live on Eastern Long Island, a suburb of the city, and I love it. I am about a 90 minute drive (or train) from Manhattan but also near some of the most beautiful beaches on the planet on Long Island's east end.  I do rather prefer the quieter side of the city!  For my image, I selected Krista Smith's Saturated Canary image, "Tourist."  

     Now, I call this a "card" but to me it is more of a collage. I don't want to go all "artsy" on you, but I wanted the card to reflect the "frenetic" pulse of the city so I relied on some stickers and 3D embellies scattered all over to reflect the pace of Manhattan.  I also used Tim Holtz filmstrip ribbon rolled up and attached with micro glue dots. At the last minute, I found some "screen" that I purchased when the new front door dies started to roll out... I thought that was a cool "city" element to add.  Whenever I visit the city, I often see tourists with cameras, just like our little tourist here, and I wonder what must they be thinking as they stand in awe at the sights and sounds of such a great city- theaters, museums, parks, skyscrapers, taxi horns honking, people moving everywhere all the time...so that is what I hoped to capture here.

     My "Tourist" is colored with copic markers (of course, that's the challenge).. E 81, 84, 87 & 89 for her shoes and top and R's for her T-shirt (used so many but definitely R39, 29, 24 and 22). My E's for her hair were E21, 33, 39 and 29.  The E29 was NOT playing nice again...so I could not blend as much as I would have liked to on her hair. They were probably rebelling after the Color Me Creative "Big Hair" challenge that I entered last week with my Hannah Lynn image!!
         Design Paper is from Teresa Collins' 6x6 paper pad,"World Traveler."  Colored cardstock from Bazill and card base from CutCardStock.com  I added a pinch of Diamond Dust glitter in her hair and coated her camera/strap with Glossy Accents.
     Seriously, if you are having any issues with some of the darker "E"'s , it is not necessarily you- the ink has thicker particles that can clog the nibs so change or clean the nibs if you find it is globbing on your work, or, like me, pulling ink off the cardstock! Here is a link to the Copic website that has some suggestions if you are having that problem:
http://community.copicmarker.com/copicmarker/topics/coloring_issue
     COPIC TIP: I would suggest is that you "bridge" the E87 and 84 by scribbling some E87 on an acrylic block and picking up the E84 with it to make your blending between them smoother.  With these E's there is a bit of a gap between 87 and 84.  I also "bridged" E37 and 33 on her hair the same way by scribbling E37 on the acrylic block and picking up with E33 for a smoother blend between E37 and E33).  
    Thanks so much for stopping by....please visit The Outlawz Copic/Promarker challenge today and every Friday to see what the Design Team has created to inspire you...then get out those markers and show us your Vacation Destination!
Challenges:





14 comments:

Caroline said...

Hi Gorgeous card love the image which is coloured beautifully and the layout is fantastic. Caroline xxx

Ginger said...

This is fantastic! This is a beautifully colored "snapshot of New York" Great Job Ann Marie!

Teresa said...

Oh wow! Ann Marie this is brilliant! You are so clever with your colouring and matching embellishments I just love it. xxx

Jo said...

Ann Marie you card is stunning. You did a terrific job on it. I love all the NY embellishments. We are very happy to have you as our GDT this month.

NGCARDS said...

Great creation hun! Thanks for playing along at PTW! xxx

Kjersti said...

Another gorgeous card Ann Marie, beautiful coloring and lovely embellies!
Have a nice Weekend!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Alyce said...

Such gorgeous colouring!! Love the shading and your layout is so awesome. Great details! :)

Penny said...

Start spreading the news.....New York, New York! Ah, Ann Marie, you did a fabulous job on this collage card! It gives us a sense of the city, for sure! Love the coloring and all the bits and pieces! Love it, love it, love it! :^)
Hugs,
Penny
P.S. And congrats on your GDT--your cards are always so wonderful that they are lucky to have you! :^)

Tracy said...

Amazing coloring job Ann Marie and all those fun embellies really carry the theme through. Super fun card! Hugs!

Darlene Lyons said...

Absolutely stunning! You are so very talented! So happy to have you as out GD this month!!

Mema's Crafts said...

Hi Ann Marie, you've given us another gorgeous card. I simply love your style. Thanks for joining us at Mema's Crafts and showing your talent!

Kim Bell said...

Ann
Love your card. Oh my! Now I want to go to the city!Awesome layout.
Hugz
Kim

crafty amy said...

What a great card and I LOVE all the embellies :D
Thank you for joining us at Crafts and Me and good luck.

Huge hugs

Amy xx

Theresa said...

Absolutely fabulous...love all your layers. Thanks for joining us this month at the Cupcake Craftroom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...