Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Greatest Strength

     Just dropping by to share a card I made this week for the Saturated Canary "Fairytales" challenge... All fairytales have a princess in them, right? So for my card, I chose Krista's "Princess Honor."  I also selected her because of her "warrior" look and I was eager to play with that type of image. This was not an easy image for me to color for many reasons...first I decided to clean the nibs of my often used "E" copics by soaking them in alcohol which is great, but I think I did not let them dry well enough so that when I put them back into the sketch case and colored with them, they were diluting the ink I just lay down. Ugh! Lesson learned!  It may have also been responsible for a lot of ink seeping over some lines,  so you will see quite a bit of "white" inksentialls pen and white sharpie in some places!  Still I just love this image and it helped me practice coloring hair (thanks Suzanne Dean and Zoe McGrath for your "hair" tutorials and pdf's) and "large and small spaces"...after about 7 or 8 attempts, I stayed with this image and here is my card....
     Something about this image really moved me- maybe it is her strength and yet her tenderness evidenced by the butterfly on the tip of her bow and those big eyes, but I really like it!  I searched for some Native American quotes on strength and honor and I stumbled on this one by the Iroquois which I think sums up what this image is saying...I printed it out using a free font I downloaded from DaFonts called "Jellyka Western Princess" into MS Word.  I simply put in search words such as "western" or "princess" and these fonts come up for selection. Simply download to your desktop and then right-click "install" which imports the font right into your word program!
      "Princess Honor" was colored with copics- primarily E81, 84 and 87 (and a little YG93/91) for her top and gloves and YR 24, 23, 21 and 20 with some deeper E's (99, 97 and 23) to deepen shadows on her skirt. By playing with many shades on her skirt, I hoped to achieve a "suede" look. By that I mean I left some areas looking "unblended" and blotchy to mimic how the light plays with the nap of seude fabric.  I colored some clouds with a handmade cloud template and some Pebbles blue iridescent chalk. The design paper comes primarily from Basic Grey's "Curio" and the burnt orange dp from another Basic Grey pad that I don't recall!  The cardstock is PTI's "Smoke" and it is a great black/brown color!  Flowers and metal corner are from Wild Orchid Crafts.  For the "embellishment" on the right, I used a tip from Dena Concienne's "Cornelia" card  (another Saturated Canary image) and the cut some "twigs"  from a Fall wreath now hanging over my fireplace and wrapped some twine and a heart button around it! Necessity is the mother of invention!! .
    A close up, warts and all...
Thanks so much for your kind comments.  Have a great day. I will be entering this card in the following challenges:

48 comments:

Vicky said...

Sweetie this is absolutely gorgeous & I sooooooo love your choice of colour, its really looks awesome hun.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Cibele Glazer said...

Your card is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love the colors you chose and your coloring is beautiful.

Marjorie said...

Oh! Ann Marie, this is so beautiful.. I love how you have showcased this lovely image...STUNNING!!!..
Hugs,
Marjorie
xx

Karen C said...

This is stunning! I love the colors and all of your beautiful elements!

Caroline said...

WOW this is stunning you have coloured her beautifully and the layout is gorgeous. Caroline xxx

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

This is lovely Ann Marie, your colouring is so good I especially like the way you've coloured her hair it looks so real. You are clever with you copics

jacqui x

Jacqui's little piece of England said...

This is lovely Ann Marie, your colouring is so good I especially like the way you've coloured her hair it looks so real. You are clever with you copics

jacqui x

coldwaters2 said...

Wow Ann Marie this is stunning the colouring of that image is awesome, the colours and design are stupendous.
hugs
lorraine x

Desire Fourie said...

Beautiful colours. Great design and attention to detail. Thanks for sharing your talent with us at Tammys Scrapin Corner. Good luck. Hugs Desíre {Tammys Scrapin Corner DT Member} {Doing Life - my personal blog}

Eulalia said...

I like very much the Saturated Canary stamps and your card is so lovely. Stunning colouring!! Thank you very much for sharing with us on the Deep Ocean Challenge.
xoxoxo Eulalia

Eileen said...

Fabulous image and colouring. Love your colour choices and layout
Eileen x

Kjersti said...

Wow! Amazing card Ann Marie, love the warm colours and beautiful image - fab coloring too!
Have a nice week!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Danni said...

Stunning! What a gorgeous card!

Jovan said...

BEAUTIFUL card!

Tammy Ortiz said...

This is so awesome.
I really love this image.


Thank you for allowing us to see your talent.
I am so thrilled to have you in our challenge this week.
Please come back next week.
Hugs
Tammy Ortiz
Founder of
Tammy Scrapin Corner

Marc Ortiz said...

Wow! What a beautiful card, thank you for entering our challenge at Tammy's Scrapin Corner. We hope to see more from you in our challenges.

Marc ^_^

Tracey McNeely said...

Your colouring is lovely. Thank you so much for joining us this week at the colourQ!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful coloring and card! Thanks for playing along with us at Eureka Stamps this week.

Joann Burton said...

Fantastic...I love your coloring and this card is just wonderful. joann sassy raggedy

June Nelson said...

Wow this is beautiful hunnie, love your choice of colours too, thanks for joining in with us at sc its lovely to have you huggies Juen xxxxxx

Patty Sue 2 said...

I was posting my card at SC and saw your lovely card. I just wanted you to know it is beautiful!! Loved everything about and I didn't notice your bleed! Don't you just love days like that?

Dawn said...

Its beautifully coloured hon. A fab card with lovely autumnal colours. Thanks for playing with us at Dream Valley this week x

Kathyk said...

Lovely card, fabulous colouring and well done on making it fit so many challenges too

Kathyk

Deonna Bemish said...

Gorgeous card and coloring! I love all of your fabulous embellishments to. Thank you for joining us this week at TTCRD.

Yasmine said...

A absolutely stunning card:) Love your coloring, the skirt looks great:) Thanks for the nice words in my blog. I'm gonna follow your blog, love your cards. Big hugs:)

Ardilla said...

Fab card! Love the image, the coloring and specially the flowers :)
Thanks for playing with us this week at Digi Makeover.

Teresa - My Crafty Heart said...

OMW, she is gorgeous Ann Marie...I have got her and haven't finished colouring her yet - you have done an amazing job, what a beautiful card :) Hugs, Teresa x

Teresa said...

Absolutely stunning card Ann Marie, fabulous colouring again.
Teresa xx

Kara said...

Gorgeous coloring!! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week!!

GinaA said...

Just stunning, art work is fab and love your design.

Kim said...

Beautiful! Your coloring is amazing! Thanks for joining us at Pixie Dust Studio.

Deanna Jean said...

Wow amazing coloring. So glad you joined us this week at the ColourQ.

Sandy said...

you have done a marvelous job coloring this - beautifully done and I don't see how it could be any better than this. Gorgeous art work!
sandy

Kim Bell said...

wow!! Ann!!! Just a beautiful/stunning card. Just Fab girl.

Hugz
Kim

Nannieflash said...

Oh wow Ann Marie that is stunning, your colouring is just gorgeous and those flowers are so beautiful, love the papers to. hugs Shirleyxxx

Eret said...

Wow, Ann Marie. It is absolutely stunning card. Love your coloring and all those flowers. Super! Thank you so much for sharing your card with us at Digi Makeover Challenge - I hope you'll join with us again next week.
Hugs, Eret

Franz♥ said...

Hi Ann Marie!

I always loved your fab creations and now i'm following you!

Thanks for visiting my blog and don't worry about your entry at DO, only a little mistake!

Hugs, Franz.

fredalexmom said...

Your card is absolutely stunning. When I first saw this new image from Krista, I was in love but wanted to see it all ink up for inspiration before buying it. This card goes straight into my favorite.

julieprice3 said...

She's just beautiful, love the sentiment, very pretty card
Hugs julie P

G8country life said...

Hi Ann Marie,
Your card is stunning love how you color her, everything came out awesome. We're very glad you join us at Tammy's Scrapin Corner, hope to see you next week also :) Elisa DT

Mynnette said...

What a beautiful card! LOVE your coloring--especially that sky! :)

Tracey said...

Gorgeous card :)
Thank you so much for joining Di's Digi Challenge & Good Luck!
Hugs
Tracey
x

Julie said...

Wow! Your coloring is outstanding! Thank you for joining us at 7 Kids College Fund Challenge!

Hugs,
Julie

Joann Burton said...

Anne Marie your coloring is beautiful. Lovely card. Thanks so much for joining us at Eureka Stamps. joann sassy raggedy

Pop's Cards said...

Hi sweetie this is just stunning, love your take on our challenge, thanks for joining us at Saturated Canary this time, hugs Pops x

Caz said...

Gorgeous fairytale/princess card, thanks for joining our challenge on Saturated Canary.
Caz
x

Shelly said...

Gorgeous autumn colours on your card and fab colouring! Thanks for joining us at Di's Digi Designs Challenge, Shelly x

Diane J said...

Gorgeous card and lovely colouring of that fab image. Thanks for entering your card into our Monthly 'Anything Goes' Challenge, Good luck in the draw and we hope you will join us again for the next challenge at Forever Friends.
Diane x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...