Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Silver and Gold Christmas- 7 Kids College Fund Challenge

       Good Morning.. Seems like ages since I posted a card.  Today begins another great challenge at 7 Kids College Fund- "Anything Goes".  While the design team added a twist of "silver and gold" to the inspiration cards, it is ALWAYS an "anything goes" challenge and I am sure you will be inspired by their creations!

       Before I share my card, I would like to share a little story... the past month or so has been a rough one for me.  It began last month when we had to put down our dog, Amber, whom we have had for 14 years.  I could not seem to move beyond it. 
     One day soon after, my son returned from the mall telling us there was a new puppy store there. I asked hubby to take me there- just to play with a puppy - in the hopes that I would feel better in some way as I just ached to pet a dog again.  Well, amid all the adorable fur babies, I saw this little puppy.  I asked to hold her and through tears, I felt this instant connection with her but also the sadness of missing my Amber at the same time.  Crazy, right? No, I did not bring her home that day because I had read that all the experts warn you, after the loss of a pet, to wait at least six months to see if you really want to bring another pet into your life or to make sure you are not trying to replace the one you lost..so I left without her committed to following their advice.
     As the days went by, I could not seem to get her out of my head and heart.  It wasn't any dog that I wanted, it was this one.  The house seemed too empty, too big, and after sharing with so many friends in blogland, on design teams and here at home, I learned that perhaps the real "expert" advice is your own "inner wisdom" and sometimes you just have to follow your heart. Two weeks and a couple of visits later, I did do just that, and I finally brought her home, thanks to my son, Timothy, who bought her for me.
    I would like to introduce you to a new member of our family...Here is our new little girl, "Maggie" at just 5 lbs and 12 weeks old.  She is a Peagle (beagle and pekingese).  I never heard of this breed before and she could have been part Martian for all I care.. I just had to bring her home!  I know nothing will replace Amber's place in our lives and hearts, but I also know that my heart is big enough to want and love another fur baby! It is a tremendous amount of work - I had forgotten just how much :) - but she adds so much fun and happiness back into our home that it is all worth it.

     Now, on to my card for today!  As I mentioned above, the challenge at 7 Kids College Fund  is "Anything Goes" but the design team thought it would be fun to add a twist of "silver and gold" to the challenge!  
***Remember to be eligible for the $20 gift certificate or the Top 3, 
you have to use a stamp carried in 7 Kids College Fund store.  ***

    I decided to create a vintage Christmas card using touches of gold throughout. I just love to work with these images, especially when you want to create a card quickly- and who doesn't want to do that during the holiday rush!

     The image is from my Pinterest board HERE where I collect vintage photos and use them for my cards.  I imported the pic into Photoshop, and used the oval shape tool to crop it.  Then I printed it on ivory cardstock and cut out using an  oval Spellbinder die.  I mounted the image on the Spellbinder Floral Oval Nestabilities. For the mat and floral oval die, I used ivory glitter cardstock.
     I embellished the image with a metal corner in gold, gold and white flowers from Kaisercraft, Wild Orchid Crafts and Live and Love Crafts.  I also tied three gold bells under the flowers and on top of the gold and white ribbon, from my stash!  The sentiment is also from my stash and it is attached using a Tim Holtz Memo Pin. 
   Thanks for stopping by. Why not hop over to the 7 Kids College Fund Challenge blog to see the other lovely inspiration creations from our design team.  We would love to see what you create!  Have a great day!
The products used on this project
are available at 7 Kids College Fund store

11 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Your card is so beautiful with the vintage autumn colouring. I am so happy for you that you could bond again with a precious new fur baby.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Shirley Chillman said...

Ann Marie your story touched me so much. Truly sorry about Amber but I am sure she could not have been loved more. Baby Maggie is just to huggable and she will ease the passing of Amber in your heart.

I am also a dog lover and have two Cocker Spaniels who are everything to me. Penny and Byron give so much love and demand nothing in return.

Such a beautiful card and I am sure you had dear Amber in mind when making it.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

Boxofcolours said...

Ah that pup is adorable. We have a terminally ill Westie and know we'll be losing her soon and plan to have another one....as you say the house is so empty without them!
Love the colours you have used on your card
Jane

Vicky said...

Hi sweetie your card is totally gorgeous & so beautiful. I lurve your new puppy she is lush. I know she will never replace Amber but she will help to heal your heart little by little hun.
Hope you have a lovely christmas shug.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Michele Cunningham said...

Maggie is too cute and so is your card. I love vintage photos!!!!

Paper Tails said...

Very pretty card! Love all the flowers. And your puppy too darn cute!!!

Karen

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

I am so happy for you! We have a choodle(chichauwa poodle mix) she only weighs 6 pounds and she is the heart and soul of our family. She is 12 years old, so we know her days may be numbered, andit just makes us crazy thinking about it. You just get so attached to them! So I think you have made the right choice!!!! And he is adorable!
Your card is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly Neis said...

Beautiful card! I love the vintage photo and all the florals. Enjoy the new little puppy!
Merry Christmas,
Kelly

julieprice3 said...

What a stunning card, I love the vintage look and you've captured it so well, just beautiful, Such a sweet little puppy too, just gorgeous
Wishing you and your family a very Happy Christmas
Hugs Julie P

Donna Heber said...

Hi Ann Marie,

Wishing you and your family a magical Christmas filled with love and laughter. Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year. Thank you for your friendship and for sharing your creative projects with us. Your card is gorgeous!

Kjersti said...

A gorgeous card Ann Marie, love the colors!
Wish you a wonderful Christmas time and a Happy New Year!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...