Thursday, September 18, 2014

Sweet 16 Shadowbox- A Creative Romance "Anything Goes" Challenge

    Today I am sharing a Sweet 16 Shadowbox created for the granddaughter of a friend for her Sweet 16 Birthday this week! It is also my Design Team project for "Anything Goes" challenge at A Creative Romance! I love when all is said and done to look back and see how I challenged myself to try new ways to create.
    No image, no coloring this time around. Instead, I used a Sizzix Bigz Dress Die- actually a quilt die used for applique- and decided to make this dress form my focal point. Since Bigz dies cut anything, I knew that in addition to using it for cuting applique fabric for quilts, I could also use it for paper and chipboard.
     I began with cutting a shape out of white chipboard. Then I cut two pieces of pink satin and attached to front and back of chipboard with the best glue for fabric- Fabri-Tac...no globs, no hot glue mess.  I layered two pieces of sequin tulle and adhered them to the front onl by placing a thin line of Fabri-Tac around the edge of the satin, then carefully placing the tulle down.  I added three pieces of rhinestone trim to make a drop waste. Last, I distressed the edges with "Victorian Velvet" distress ink to cover and white chipboard still showing. I took this pic above with the piece outside the shadowbox as you will see that the glass creates such a glare.
    For the background, I layered and distressed two sheets of Maja's Sofiero 12x12 design paper with Victorian Velvet distress ink.  I layered lace, thin strip of the dp (ala Alyce) and some white sequin tool on top. The I added the largest die cut of the Spellbinder Heirloom Legacy set. The oval is another die in that same set and I used it to cut a mirror out of the Tim Holtz mirror paper.. OMG that is the best. Not only is it adhesive but you peel off a clear layer on top and when you do, you would swear you are looking at real mirror glass.

I added the pic above to show you as you can see my fingers taking the pic! Now take a lesson from me, wait until you are DONE to remove that clear paper as you can get glue and fibers on it just like real glass! I adhered the dress onto the "mirror" and the pop dotted it onto my background.

     Some added embellishments include a Tim Holtz filmstrip, Pearl Swirls,Wild Orchid Crafts Roses (white and two toned) and a Prima frame under which I stamped "Sweet 16".  Last, I heat embossed/frantaged a large silver metal corner with Bridal Embossing Powder mixed with Shabby Pink frantage.
     I hope the "Birthday Girl" loves her gift. I know I had a lot of fun making it. I already have another million ideas in mind for how I would embellish this dress again.  Want to give a big "thank you" to my dt mate, Rhea Weigand for helping me take better photos!

Why not have a peek at the Design Team Inspiration at A Creative Romance and join in our "Anything Goes" challenge.   Have a great day and thanks always for your kind comments.



Shadowbox Ingredients:
Other Supplies:
Pink Satin and Tulle (Joanns)10" 
 10" White frame Shadowbox (Joanns)
White frame Shadowbox (Joanns) 
 Lace 6 inch (Joanns)
Wedding Pearl/Rhinestone Trim (Etsy)

9 comments:

Lori Kobular said...

OMG!! This shadowbox is so very pretty! I know the Sweet Sixteener will love it! I love all the embellishments you used! Thanks for joining us in the Scrapy Land Challenge #2!! I hope you join us in future challenges!

Anne Temple said...

WOW, this is amazing! Fabulous project and I know the recipient will love it too. So glad you shared it with us for the Scrapy Land Challenge!

Raechelle Bellus said...

WOW! This is amazing! The colors and overall look is gorgeous! It's so creative and full of little details. I am sure your friends daughter is going to love it! Thanks for joining us at Scrapy Land!

jimlynn said...

SO beautiful! I can't think of a better gift for a 16 year old. This will be something she treasures forever. Thanks so much for joining us at Scrapy Land!
Lynn

Cibele Glazer said...

All the little details came together to create a true work of art. This is GORGEOUS! I love the sparkle! Thank you for sharing your awesome creation and joining us at In the Pink!

Pamellia Johnson said...

Holy cow! I'm not sure where to start because it is all so gorgeous! I just love the intricate frame you have used to highlight that beautiful dress! Your flower arrangements are perfect and all of your bling is just stunning! This is truly a spectacular piece! WOW :)

McCrafty's Cards said...

Wonderful card, Thanks for playing along with us in our Milestone Birthday Challenge at Gem of a Challenge, Good Luck.
Kevin xx

Dorothy H said...

This is a stunning project and we appreciate you joining us at Crafty Creations Challenges!

Donna Ellis said...

How gorgeous, Anne Marie! Thanks for playing in the Scrapy Land Challenge for a chance to win great prizes and badges! We hope to see you come back in the next challenge, too! hugs, de {Creative Smiles}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...